IF YOU ARE RECEIVING THIS BLOG BY EMAIL
– CLICK ON THE BLOG TITLE –
THIS WILL TAKE YOU TO THE FULL BLOG PAGE
Tonight I would like to share some words from days gone by which I rediscovered today… these words are so practical, down to earth, and full of common sense I couldn’t help myself but share them with you. The reason I want to share them with you is each one sounds like a wonderful sermon title in a series of sermons on “Advice From an Old Farmer.” Take a moment – or longer – stop at each one and imagine the sermon you would write or need to hear from each word of advice.
My hope is that the advice from an old farmer will be so real and practical that it will help us all to laugh, perhaps cry, but more than that help us to see our real walk with Jesus as he leads us to walk alongside our brothers and sisters in this world of need.
Please remember to take time to ponder….
- Your fences need to be horse-high, pig-tight and bull-strong.
- Keep skunks and finance companies at a distance.
- Life is simpler when you …plow around the stump.
- A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.
- Words that soak into your ears are whispered… not yelled.
- Meanness don’t jes’ happen overnight.
- Forgive your enemies; it messes up their heads.
- Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.
- It don’t take a very big person to carry a grudge.
- You cannot unsay a cruel word.
- Every path has a few puddles.
- When you wallow with pigs, expect to get dirty.
- The best sermons are lived, not preached.
- Most of the stuff people worry about ain’t never gonna happen anyway.
- Don’t judge folks by their relatives.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good, honorable life… Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.
- Don ‘t interfere with somethin’ that ain’t bothering you none.
- Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a Rain dance.
- If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin’.
- Sometimes you get, and sometimes you get got.
- The biggest troublemaker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin’.
- Always drink upstream from the herd.
- Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.
- Lettin’ the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin’ it back in.
- If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..
- Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply.
- Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
- Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
Dear Lord, help me to have enough common sense, humility, compassion and grace that I may allow you to live through me as you lead me to those in need around me. Help me always to listen to the wisdom of the advice of an old farmer, in and through Jesus. Amen.
Grace and Peace